Sunday, August 26, 2007

I Wish I Had The Answers

My dad's Jeep is crapping out, my truck is making this wretched squealing sound (no it's not a belt, it's metal on metal) whenever I steer and idles like junk. I wish I knew how to work on cars. I want to be a mechanic, not merely a parts replacer. You should look at my desk, which at the moment happens to be my kitchen table. Auto repair manuals are sprawled out as I shift from book to book, and newspapers are displayed in a similar fashion, with my handy-dandy oversized Mickey Mouse coffee mug my sister got me for Christmas two years ago.

My brain is wired soooo weird. I don't have a job, which is nice, but it also has it's shortcomings; first, no income. Second, I am just about bored silly! This is me. Wake up, shower, put on music, make coffee, email, pour coffee into Mickey, nytimes.com, local news, gripe about how I read the local news yesterday on nytimes.com. By now, it's 11:30. Skateboard for about an hour, then it's lunchtime, usually a sandwich. Reheat coffee, email, nytimes.com. Xbox, skateboard. Now it's about 4:00. Snack, email, nytimes.com and general browsing. Call several people. All working, schooling, hanging out with their girlfriends, or just unspecified "busy." Dinner time. Eat, Make more music. If I haven't gotten a call by about 9, I give it up, watch Monk or something, go upstairs, check email and nytimes.com, go downstairs read until about 12:00, think about my cars and how to fix them, and go to sleep at an unspecified hour. Then I do it again. And again. I was so bored I watched CSPAN the other day! And I actually like it!

As you can see, all of this nothing has given me time to completely perfect my inner nerd. Today at Bernie's going away party, my friend Steve made a remark that the end of the food tables and leaning against the railing was a very strategic spot. And what do I do? I start naming off geographic locations! Upon a phone call to my other friend Simon, who asked me to tell him what I knew, I began rattling off the current news in the country of Pakistan! OH. MY. GOODNESS. I collect maps. Who collects maps??? I am reading through these technical manuals of Jeep Cherokees and Chevy S-10s as if they were pleasure reading.

At one point I took this Strength Finder test online. Fourth down was input. Essentially, being a a packrat of knowledge. Wanting to learn all sorts of random things, because you never know when you're going to need it. Like at the end of a food line at a going away party.

And that's the end. Good story, yes?

3 comments:

Jess said...

so if yr bored... and love music... you need to go to youtube. type in hiromi uehara. and listen in amazed bliss. XYZ is my favorite. or Kung Fu World Champion. or Old Castle, By the River, in the Middle of a Forest. heck. they all rock.

Jess said...

or... if yr into bass... Reverse by hiromi. wow.

Simon said...

Brandon. I never really said thanks for that great information on the Pakistan stuff. Thanks.