Tuesday, August 21, 2007

WOW. I am PAYING Someone to Take My Jeep

OK. Let me explain. This all hit the fan in the last 45 minutes or so, and I am pretty sure I have found the right course of action. A few months ago, I purchased a 1986 Jeep Cherokee. White, 4x4, two door. This thing rocked, and I had always wanted one. One catch. It had 256,000 miles on it. Didn't matter, to my perspective, because it ran great, and if it was taken care of it would run forever. I asked my dad if he was in my position, would he buy this Jeep. His response "I think I might." Yeah, I didn't take the hint.

Driving it home, it quit. I was able to get it rolling again, but the problem persisted, growing more frequent. After a few attempts to fix it, my good buddy Simon and I went out to drive our cars through the mud. It was a really dumb thing for both of us to do, because he fried his starter going through a big puddle, and I bent a rod trying to pull him out of it. He has since become fed up with his car as well, and is trying to get rid of it, though he is not nearly as desparate as I am.

I took the Jeep to the shop. Upon arrival, I started it up to see if he could tell what it was. As soon as he heard it, he said "turn that thing off, it's gonna blow up." Damage: $3000, engine rebuild. Kill me now. I held off, and he said since it was a lot of money to find a spot on the curb and just leave it there until I figured out what I wanted to do. So I did.

Turns out I parked it in the wrong place. I received the impound notice today, and I have the option of just letting the DOL just have the car and sell it off at an auction. All I have to do is pay the towing and storage fees, totaling to about $400. I called several wrecking yards, they'll give me $175 for it, but since it doesn't run I'd have to have it towed, which would just about even me out. I might come away $100 ahead, which still leaves me $300 behind. I'm just tired of dealing with it. So I may just give it to the DOL and be done, and never do it again. My old Chevy is gettin' me around great for now. Either way, this whole ordeal is coming to a close and I am sooo glad.

No comments: